What to do with the animals???
- find a family member, neighbour or friend who is willing to look after them either in home or visit,
- pay pet providers to come take care of their needs from time to time,
- put them to a boarding kennel OR
- discover a reliable resource that brings lots of qualified and caring house/pet sitters to you.
I worry about my pets being cared for like I want them to be!
- Taking them to be boarded is not only expensive, but can be quite stressful for your pets as well as possibly putting them at risk for communicable diseases.
- Leaving them at home alone for periods of time can be risky if you use a walking and feeding service that only visits to walk and feed.
- Family and friends are PERFECT IF they love pets and are willing to either move in or take them to their home temporarily because you know and trust them. (hopefully)
- With a pet loving house sitter (especially if they are around most of the time) your beloved animals are surrounded by their own environment and can maintain their regular routines, which makes them VERY HAPPY! Happy pets = peace of mind for the owner.
- With detailed instructions, housesitters can replicate the same diet and nutrition that the owner has been providing as well as exercise and caring attention, keeping the animals at optimal health.
- If something goes wrong, the animal gets hurt or ill, there is someone there at your home to respond quickly by calling a vet or taking them in for treatment.
- For those housesitters who miss having pets of their own, you are providing enjoyment, fun and exercise for your fellow pet lover.
- For the money you save by not having to pay for a housesitter, you can perhaps splurge your travels a bit more!
Our housesitting and petsitting experiences have worked out pretty darn perfect… for everyone concerned!
As former pet owners AND home owners, we do miss both from time to time. To be able to enjoy a real home, get to know a new area, the unique culture, the local people and the pets, has been a real blessing to the quality of our lives! Just look at the picture above to see what fun Stormy the Doberman and I had walking along the beach every morning before breakfast in the “spa capital of Queensland, Australia”.
It has been a real WIN/WIN/WIN for all of us; The homeowners who vacationed in Colorado knowing their home and precious pet was well looked after; Stormy the Dog could hardly wait for the long walks and afternoon treats every day; Joe and I got to take day trips to amazing places nearby, meet and socialize with new friends, live in a lovely home with a beautiful garden and swimming pool in tropical paradise. That’s exactly why this works SO WELL!